Truth in 1 John
Truth in 1 John
“You can’t handle the truth”. Humm, even modern movies sometimes tell the truth, even when they don’t think so! We live in an age that has denied that there is TRUTH as an objective thing. We have been told that ‘truth’ is always relative and personal, that truth for you is just truth for you and not TRUTH. Of course you realize that we are also told that THIS CONCEPT of truth always being relative is THE TRUTH! It seems like everyone agrees that there is at least ONE truth!
Such slippery slope concept of truth was alive and well in John’s day! This concept was no more truth then than it is now.
* The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth (1John 5:6)
* The disciples of the 1st century knew the truth (1John 2:21)
* Truth is not just to be believed, but practiced (1John 1:6)
* Thus, we are to love not just in word, but also in doing (1John 3:18)
* Obedience to God’s teachings is the evidence of truth abiding in us (1John 2:4)
* By such practice of truth we know we are OF truth (1John 3:19)
* The acknowledging of the fact of our own sin is truth (1John 1:8)
* The Apostles were OF God, and the one who listens to them will know the difference between the spirit of truth and the spirit of error (1John 4:6)
John also wrote that Jesus stated: “Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth. ” (John 17:17). He also wrote that Jesus is “the way, the truth, and the life” and that no one comes unto God except thru Jesus (John 14:6). Read this list again. Are you OF Truth? Do you know it? Are you practicing it?