Paul As A Preacher
Let me depart from writing an article and instead just present an outline of thought. As I was reading chapter two it struck me how personal this chapter was. In it we see the very heart of Paul as a preacher. This chapter speaks volumes on the attitudes and conduct that should be at the heart of every preacher.
First, look at the integrity of their preaching and conduct.
- Speak to please God, not man .. 4
- NOT appeal from error, impurity, or attempt to deceive 3
- No words of flattery 5
- No pretext for greed 5
- Not seek glory from people 6
- NOT make demands (even legitimate ones) 6
- cp. 9 - worked at making tents so as not to be a burden to them…
- Holy, righteous, and blameless in conduct towards them 10
Then observe his attitude towards them as people; he showed true love in that he sought their best interests in his dealings with them.
- Affectionately desirous of YOU - 8
- Considered THEM to be HIS hope, joy, crown of boasting, glory and joy! 19-20
- Gentle - like a mother … 7
- Like A Father - 11-12
- exhorted, encouraged, charged -
- TO walk in a manner worthy of God!
- Did not ‘leave’, but was torn away - 17
- desire to see them again ..
All I can say is that a lot of us preachers could probably use an attitude adjustment. How would you respond to such a preacher?